Thursday, November 5, 2009

The next best thing.


Okay, so the Rox didn't get out of the first round of the playoffs this year...that is fine, I have moved on (sort of....).

When I was a little Lockedawg, just old enough to learn to throw a baseball, I found a team that I wanted to be "my team". I fell in love with a team that had a long history of success, a team that is oozing with tradition and mystique. At the ripe old age of 5 I decided to be a New York Yankee fan.

(Pause while I duck and cover with all the debris flying at me)

When the Colorado Rockies came into existence, I immediately transfered my allegiance to them, after all, they are my home town team. But a piece of me stayed loyal to the Yankees. That loyalty was strengthened when my favorite Rockies catcher became the manager of the Bronx Bombers (Joe Girardi). I am still a fan, I don't bleed pinstripes like I used to, but I am still a Yankee fan.

I love the traditions, the history, the lore of the Yankees. I love the fact that they are one of only 2 teams that do not have the players names on the back of their jerseys...you are not "A-Rod", you are "the Yankee third basemen"...to remind the players that they are a part of something bigger, and something special.

Well long story short, if the Rockies don't win a world championship, I have a back up...

Number 27 and counting!!!!

Until next time...
the Lockedawg

2 comments:

  1. We like the Yankees out here on the East Coast, and so there will be no need to duck any debris from this direction ;-) Bet you are a happy guy right about now...Blessings! Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. And no matter who is on their team, or what ego, they never transcend the tradition that surrounds the team. Pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete